A client (whom we had recently upgraded from Oracle Hyperion EPM 188.8.131.52 to 184.108.40.206) asked us to implement an unattended Hyperion Smart View silent install for 200+ user PCs. And, because the Shared Connections URL changed, we needed to automatically modify that Smart View Option as well.
At first pass, we were able to make use of the command line switches that are built into the Smart View installer to fulfill most of the requirements. Essbase Labs has a helpful blog post with detail about the command line switches:
To roll out to multiple users, note that you can utilize the MSI file embedded in the SmartView.exe installer, and roll-out using a tool such as Microsoft SCCM:
msiexec.exe /q ALLUSERS=2 /m MSIPULBB /i "Oracle Smart View 32-bit for Office.msi" URL=http://<server>:<port>/w orkspace/SmartViewProviders
During our testing, we noticed that the Shared Connections URL was not being updated in Smart View > Options in the Front-End after installation.
We researched and found Oracle Doc ID 1350447.1 which explains how the Shared Connections URL is stored. There are two pertinent files:
This XML gets created/modified by the MSI; it defines the default Shared Connections URL
- C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Oracle\SmartView\Properties.xml
This XML gets created/modified as users access Smart View; it overrides the default Shared Connections URL
Since most users already had Smart View 220.127.116.11, the second Properties.XML file existed and was overriding the first. To address the issue, we created the following Windows batch script that deletes the second Properties.XML file so that it can be regenerated by the default Shared Connections URL:
@echo off cd /d %SystemDrive%\users
REM The /p switch in the below DEL command causes the script to prompt before deletions. Use it for testing to ensure the script is only deleting appropriate files. Then, you may remove it particularly if you will want to run the script unattended. FOR /D /r %%G in ("AppData\Roaming\Oracle\
SmartView*") DO if exist "%%G\properties.xml" (del /p %%G\properties.xml)
Note if you run this script, you should ensure that MS Office gets closed on users’ PCs. Any active instances of MS Office will still have the previous Shared Connections URL in memory, which could then save down into the Properties.XML file if the user accesses Smart View.
Please take all necessary precaution when running the script including to test on a single machine before rolling out to end-users.
- To enhance your productivity in Smart View, we offer a free companion Excel Add-In with the following features:
- Speed up Smart View Queries by over 2x using Turbo Charged functionality
- Use a consolidated Ribbon that combines commonly used items from Smart View, Planning, Essbase, and HFM Ribbons
- Change Smart View Options including row suppression directly in the Toolkit Ribbon with a single click
- Save Smart View queries as Excel Templates and share with your team on a shared LAN Drive
- Retain connection when copying one or more Smart View Sheets
Please contact our team for further support.