You may receive the following error message when performing an ad hoc drill down via the Oracle Essbase Connection in the Hyperion Smart View Excel Add-in:
Essbase Error (1020011): Maximum number of rows  exceeded.
The threshold for the maximum number of rows is controlled by Hyperion Provider Services (AKA “Essbase Analytics Provider Services” or “APS”), and is designated by the following setting in an essbase.properties file:
To increase the threshold, we suggest making the change in the administrative front-end. This approach is often easier than modifying the properties file, since the Hyperion administrator may not have access to make changes at the OS level, and also there are several essbase.properties files scattered throughout the Oracle Middleware folder.
- Login to the Essbase Administration Services Console (EAS)
- Expand ‘Provider Servers’ and, if no servers are listed, perform the following steps:
- Right-click on ‘Provider Servers’ and select ‘Add Provider Server’
- In the ‘Provider Name’ field, enter the server name where the ‘Hyperion Provider Services – Web Application’ service is running
- Note, the ‘URL’ field should then fill in automatically; e.g. http://server:13080/aps/APS
- Ensure the pertinent Essbase server is selected and click OK
- Right-click on the newly listed server under the ‘Provider Servers’ node and select Connect (if needed)
- Right-click again on the server and select Edit > Properties
- Increase the ‘Maximum number of rows’ setting
- Click Apply
- Restart the ‘Hyperion Provider Services – Web Application’ service
Do you also experience slow performance in Smart View? If so, review the following resolutions:
- Speed up Smart View by over 2x using the Smart View Toolkit Excel Add-In
- Resolve common root causes for Smart View performance issues
Please contact our team for further support.