The Essbase Client provides the ability to run Essbase MaxL Scripts on your local PC. It also provides the legacy Essbase Excel Add-in, although this is being sunsetted and replaced by Hyperion Smart View. Lastly, it provides the ability for other miscellaneous tools to interface with Essbase from your local PC. You will generally only need to install the Hyperion Essbase Client if you will be running Essbase MaxL batch scripts from your PC.
The following steps were provided for a customer that was using Oracle Hyperion EPM 188.8.131.52. There may be slight changes to each step for other versions of the software.
Steps for Installation
- Download the Essbase Client by navigating to the download link which is found online. For example, here is the URL for the installer for v184.108.40.206:
(Later versions of the client are available at the following link, under Oracle Essbase:
- Click on “EPM System Release 220.127.116.11.0 Part 6” > “for Windows (x86)” and save to your desktop.
- Right-click on the installation file and select Run as Administrator. Note, depending on security policies, you may need to obtain temporary admin rights to your PC from your local IT group.
- Follow the directions to run and complete the installation file.
Setting Environmental Variables
After installation, you may need to set ARBORPATH, ESSBASEPATH, and PATH Environmental Variables (the latter allows batch scripts to call MaxL just by entering “startMaxL.cmd” rather than entering a fully qualified path).
- Goto Start Menu > Run
- Type in “cmd” and click OK
- IMPORTANT – Enter the following commands to backup environmental variables to a temporary text file. In case of issues, you can reference this file as a restoration point, particularly for the PATH variable:
- set >>%TEMP%\Environmental_Variables_Backup.txt
- Enter the following command to update the environmental variables. Note, you may need to remove the “-64” in the file path if you are on a 32-bit machine:
- set ARBORPATH=%HYPERION_HOME%common\EssbaseRTC-64\18.104.22.168
- set ESSBASEPATH=%HYPERION_HOME%common\EssbaseRTC-64\22.214.171.124
- set PATH=%HYPERION_HOME%products\Essbase\EssbaseClient\bin; %HYPERION_HOME%common\EssbaseRTC-64\126.96.36.199;%PATH%
- Enter the following command to test that you are able connect to MaxL:
- You should see the following MaxL prompt if successful.
- You may proceed to reboot your machine for the settings to take full effect.
- Note, in case of issues, troubleshoot the file paths with the Hyperion Administrator. You may enter the following command to view a backup of the environmental variables if needed:
Steps for Disabling the Essbase Excel Add-in (Optional)
It is recommended that you use the Hyperion Smart View Excel Add-in rather than the legacy Essbase Excel Add-in. You may use the following steps to disable the Essbase Excel Add-in that was installed with the Essbase Client:
- Open Microsoft Excel. Click on the Office Button > Excel Options.
- Go to the Add-ins section, choose “COM Add-ins” from the drop-down menu, and click Go.
- Find the add-in named “EXCEL and EQD COM Add-in”. If this box is checked, uncheck the box. Click “OK”.
If you need additional assistance with this, contact our team for support. We support clients daily on these types of issues, among a variety of other support services.
Additionally, you may leave comments below with any questions.