Oracle Hyperion Planning customers with an active Oracle support agreement may wonder what features and benefits they’re missing out on by not upgrading to the latest and greatest patches. This post identifies the benefits and features included with the latest releases, and then outlines out the headlining features added in each major version. We also lay out an example migration path from a previous version of Hyperion Planning to help demonstrate how easy an upgrade can be with the right implementation team.
At a high level, Oracle Hyperion Planning version 188.8.131.52 boasts the following features and improvements compared to 184.108.40.206:
- Modernized User Interface, compatible with both Google Chrome and mobile devices
- Hybrid ASO/BSO data storage -> vastly improved planning & reporting performance
- Smart View Admin Extension -> Enables Finance Leaders to easily make planning hierarchy updates from within Smart View
These features can be enabled for existing on-premise Planning applications by either an in-place upgrade, or as part of a migration to new managed services solution. The in-place upgrade option will offer relatively quick turnaround, but does require system downtime to manage and test the updated version. The migration option offers additional flexibility to have the old and new systems running in sync, offering additional time to test and validate all system functionality is working as expected. Then, after validation and acceptance testing is complete, the upgraded system becomes prod, and the out-of-date system can be taken offline.
Below we outline additional features included in each major point release of Oracle Planning:
Significant features introduced with Hyperion Planning 220.127.116.11 include:
- Modernized, simplified, and customizable user interface, plus support for the latest Web Browsers (including Chrome!) and Office 2016
- Smart View Planning Admin Extension -> Administer dimension metadata from Smart View
- More than two dozen new features, enhancements, or optimizations in Calculation Manager, Smart View, and Financial Reporting — plus Essbase Hybrid Aggregate Storage Option for the fastest financial reporting you’ve ever seen!
Significant features introduced with Hyperion Planning 18.104.22.168.500 include:
- Aggregate Storage Option (ASO) -> significantly improved reporting performance
- Smart View Progress bar -> Presents job progress automatically when initiated from Excel
- Tablet-friendly interface -> Enables mobile access to reports, task lists, approvals, and settings
Significant features introduced with Hyperion Planning 22.214.171.124 include:
- Smart View Admin Extension -> Enables Hierarchy updates from within Smart View
- Map to ASO (Aggregate Storage Option) Reporting Application -> Enables automated report application mapping for faster financial reporting
Significant features introduced with Hyperion Planning 126.96.36.199 include:
- More efficient parallel data processing -> improves performance of data imports and exports
- Built-in Rolling Forecast functionality -> increases plan flexibility and responsiveness
- Predictive Planning -> automatic predictions of future periods based on historical data
- More effective task list access -> easier for new users to jump in and get started
- Project Financial Planning -> bridges the gap between the detailed projects an organization undertakes and the overall corporate impact/resources required
- Smart View performance has been enhanced and status bar added; operations now run faster.
Ready to learn more about upgrade options? Sign up below for a free assessment, or give us a call today at 1-800-EPM-PROS!